|Kentucky QSO Party Operating Rules – 2024
- 1300Z UTC June 1 –> 0100Z UTC June 2
- 9AM – 9PM EDT –> Saturday, June 1
- 8AM – 8PM CDT –> Saturday, June 1
- 7AM – 7PM MDT –> Saturday, June 1
- 6AM – 6PM PDT –> Saturday, June 1
- Phone (SSB/FM)
- RTTY (Baudot only, no other digital modes)
All contacts must be simplex, no repeaters.
||160, 80, 40, 20, 15, 10, 6, 2
- Fixed Station – Single Op (non-club)
- KY Mobile – Single-Op Unassisted (operator also drives)
- KY Mobile – Single-Op Assisted (operator has a driver)
- Expedition (KY portable stations only)
(Mobiles and Expeditions see County Line Operations below)
- High Power: More than 100 watts
- Low Power: 100 watts or less
- QRP: 5 watts or less
|Work KY Stations
||Once per band, per mode, per county
- 1 point per completed Phone QSO
- 2 points per completed CW QSO
- 2 points per completed RTTY baudot QSO
|Bonus Station K4KCG
||K4KCG may be worked once per BAND and MODE for 100 bonus points per QSO. For example, a station working K4KCG on 20M CW, RTTY and SSB would earn 300 bonus points. Logging programs need not track earned bonus points — after your Cabrillo log is submitted, the KYQP committee will add bonus points to your posted score. Thus bonus stations may change each year, without needing logging program updates.
NOTE: The K4KCG Bonus will be added to your score total automatically.
||CW: 1.815, 3.540, 7.040, 14.040, 21.040, 28.040, 50.095 and 144.060
SSB: 1.865, 3,810, 7.190, 14.250, 21.300, 28.450, 50.135 and 144.250
RTTY: 3.580, 7.080, 14.080, 21.080 and 28.080
||For Kentucky Station operators (including mobiles)
- Each unique Kentucky-based station is a multiplier when worked in each of the 120 counties.
- When logging other Kentucky stations, enter the KY County as the exchange (not KY).
- Each USA state (not ARRL section), including DC, and each Canadian Province.
- DX contacts count for QSO points only. Enter DX for the exchange.
For Non-Kentucky Station operators
- Each Kentucky-based station is a multiplier based on their county.
- When logging Kentucky stations, enter the KY County as the exchange (not KY).
For ALL operators
- KY Mobiles or Expeditions traveling to a new KY county may be contacted again for QSO Point and County Multiplier credit.
- All entries using 5 watts or less, Power Multiplier = 3.
- All entries using 100 watts or less, Power Multiplier = 2.
- All entries using more than 100 watts, Power Multiplier = 1.
- Total score = QSO Points x QSO Multipliers x Power Multiplier + Bonus Station points.
- An additional 100 points is added to your final score as a bonus for submitting a Cabrillo log file.
|County Line Operations
||KY Fixed stations that are on a county line must choose a KY county and exchange that county during the QSO Party. No multiple county exchanges.
KY Mobile and Expedition stations may setup on a county line, such as McCreary and Whitley and exchange multiple counties in one exchange:
- Spot yourself and enter MCY/WHI in the comments.
- Call CQ like this: CQ CQ KYQP de N4TY/MCY/WHI
- And send the exchange as: 599 MCY/WHI
- Operators must log you twice, but some logger programs like N1MM will log 2 QSOs for you.
- KY Mobiles and Expedition stations on a county line may be claimed as a separate QSO and multiplier from each county.
- KY Mobiles and Expeditions that move to a new county are considered to be a new station and may be contacted again for QSO point credit.
- There are no Assisted (spotting) vs Unassisted classes.
- Spotting Assistance is always allowed and encouraged!
- N1MM has no Expedition or Mobile category, so KY stations that operate in multiple counties should configure N1MM as Rover, but submit their log as either Mobile or Expedition.
||In 2024 and future years, to be eligible for awards, all operators must use their individual call sign. An entry using a Club call which is assigned by the FCC will not be eligible for awards in any category. The KY Club “aggregate” award of past years is also eliminated due to lack of participation.
Plaques are awarded for the highest score in these categories based on merit:
- Kentucky in-state:
- Mode: Mixed, CW, Phone
- Power: High, Low
- QRP (any mode)
- Expedition (any mode/power)
- Mobile (assisted driver and unassisted solo)
- Unbridled Spirit (for exceptional effort)
- Total of 11 possible plaques to be earned.
- USA (non-KY), and
- Canada, and
- Mode: Mixed, CW, Phone (all non-KY stations)
- There are no separate power categories for Non-KY stations.
- Total of 9 possible plaques to be earned.
||Visit the Log Submissions page to upload your Cabrillo log file.